“Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.” Take a look at your life. Does it feel safe and cushy? Have you been in the same routine for years climbing onto that elliptical at the gym four times a week or running three miles, three times a week around the same neighborhood loop? I used to be an elliptical girl who would occasionally walk on the treadmill at an incline or check out the spinning class at the gym. I value an active lifestyle, but I was bored, yet comfortable with my exercise regime.
One afternoon while shopping online for birthday party supplies from Shindigz, I clicked over to Pinterest. I came across a pin with two circles. The smaller circle is labeled “your comfort zone” and next to it the larger circle is labeled “where the magic happens.” Considering my birthday was in a week, and I was turning 30 that year, I wanted to go where the magic happens. Without any hesitation I canceled my gym membership and excited over a new fitness challenge: CrossFit.
What CrossFit is Not
CrossFit is not a gym full of immortal gorilla men and women who turn over gigantic tires and pull cars using a rope. Other misconceptions…itisn’t for any specific gender, age group or fitness level. As long as you have a passion for being mentally and physically strong, then you’ll succeed in this fitness program and lifestyle.
According to the official website, CrossFit is an elite fitness program that focuses on principal strength and conditioning. Workouts of the day, called WODs, use functional movements, intensity and equipment, including weight-lifting bars and bumpers, kettlebells, medicine balls, jump ropes and plyo boxes. Expect a variety of hardcore exercises such as squats, push-ups, pull-ups, handstands and burpees. Workouts will also include strength exercises called snatches, hang power cleans and push presses, to name a few.
CrossFit: More Than a Work Out
Now that you understand CrossFit basics, check out why CrossFit can be one of the greatest changes in your life:
- CrossFit WODS can be scary, which is why feeling awesome after a workout can be an understatement. It’s simple. You always walk out of the gym feeling accomplished and like a haus on a high. CrossFit: “A place to raise the bar and your spirits.”
- CrossFit promotes strong over skinny, muscle over bone and a clean paleo diet. You’ll undoubtedly build muscle and strength and see results.
- CrossFit is a community. Although it can be intimidating to work out in a group alongside men who grunt and throw more than 200 lbs over their heads, CrossFit is a supportive and non-judgmental environment. Whether you’re a man or woman, young or old, brand new or a pro, CrossFit advocates positive energies and team effort.
- You can always push harder and improve. Did that front squat feel light? Throw on 10 lbs. CrossFit is a scalable workout, and it never gets easier.
- Each workout puts you outside your comfort zone physically, mentally and even emotionally. You learn that not finishing an exercise or workout is not an option. You’ll learn you’re capable of much more than you ever thought. During a workout, your mind is void of anything but getting through that WOD. “When you have one of those days when you feel a big weight on your shoulders do squats.”