Why “Skinny” Egg Soup?
When trying to lose weight and tone, I have a set of easy, quick meals that I know I can make quickly and easily. The meals are all based around the same groups of ingredients, that way I don’t have to buy any more food than absolutely necessary.
Along with being high in protein, eggs also provide 14 important nutrients such as vitamins A, D and E, folate, iron, zinc, omega-3 and choline. Which means that eating eggs is is incredibly good for your bones, teeth, skin and eyes.
2 eggs contain the equivalent protein of one serving of a traditional meat/fish portion. And at just 70 calories per large egg, you’re not going to get a better protein to calorie ratio anywhere else.
This is a quick, easy meal recipe I picked up a long time ago from a fitness magazine. Over time I’ve modified it slightly to accommodate my tastes and available ingredients, so of course feel free to experiment with it for yourself!
You will need (per serving):
- 0.5L Chicken Broth (low sodium)
- Soy Sauce (low sodium)
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1/2 Chili Pepper (adjust for taste)
- Greens (I use peas, but spinach or beans work well too)
- 1 Green Onion (spring onions)
- Noodles (optional)
How It’s Made
- First add the chicken broth to a saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Slice the chili pepper thinly and add to the saucepan. Add the greens now too (also add noodles if you want to).
- Once the greens appear to be cooked (about 2 minutes), add the egg. The eggs need to be cracked into a bowl and whipped together like scrambled egg.
- Pour the egg in and allow to sit for around 30 seconds. Then slowly stir the egg in – it’s going to look like a mess for about a minute but believe me it will turn out okay!
- Add the soy sauce. At this point you could also add other sauces, I personally enjoy Worcestershire sauce and/or hot sauce.
- Once the egg is fully cooked, remove the saucepan from the heat and serve in bowls.
- Chop the green onion and place on top as garnish.
That’s all there is to it! This meal usually takes less than 15 minutes from start to finish, which makes it great for a quick booster when you don’t have much time to spare.
But Why Is This Going To Help Me Lose Weight?
At the beginning of the article mentioned that “When trying to lose weight and tone, I have a set group of meals” – and this is true. This egg soup is by far my favorite because it’s so quick and easy to make; but also because it’s amazingly good for you. Allow me to break down the ingredient’s list so you can see why:
Low Sodium Chicken Broth
Everyone knows that excessive sodium is bad. But what’s great about this broth is that you can have all the flavor – with way less sodium! Plus these broths can be found at any grocery store and purchased for no more than the full sodium version. Sodium attracts water and leads to a buildup or water in the bloodstream. This is known to be one of the main contributors to high blood pressure.
Low Sodium Soy Sauce
The same applies to the low sodium soy sauce. With these two ingredients, you can add all of the salty flavor you need without actually incorporating much sodium. They also negate the need to add any actual salt to the dish! Sodium attracts water weight and can make you look larger than you actually are by forcing your body to hold more water.
We already covered some of the benefits of eggs earlier in the article, but here’s some more:
- They contain 50% of your daily requirement of vitamin B12, which helps protect against heart disease.
- A large egg provides 6 grams of high-quality protein.
- Eggs contain high levels of omega-3 (healthy fats) which help protect your heart.
Greens, particularly peas and spinach, are high in essential vitamins and minerals. A cup of spinach only contains 7 calories – making it a great filler for your diet. Spinach has also been shown to reduce cravings, which is useful if you’re dieting!
I eat this soup whenever I’m trying to shed a few pounds and it’s great. My girlfriend and I both love it for it’s huge taste accompanied by it’s huge list of benefits. Aside from that, it’s pretty easy on the wallet too! Why not give it a try? Let us know how you get on in the comments or send us a picture on facebook/twitter/instagram!