How can you make your bathroom a safer place? You can make your bathroom a safer place by removing cleaning products, shampoos, lotions and soaps that are harmful and toxic. Here are five simple ways to detoxify your bathroom:
1) Soap works just fine
You will notice that the word “antibacterial” is labeled on many cleaning products. According to experts, antibacterial cleaners and hand washes contain a chemical called triclosan. This chemical is not only harmful to the environment but also our health. If you want to wash your hands properly, eco-friendly soap can do a great job. Make sure you scrub your hands properly.
2) Get rid of white toilet paper
Do you know why white toilet paper is shiny white? It is bleached in a process that produces dangerous chemicals that are dumped in our environment. According to research, if every house in the US started using 100% recycled paper, we would save more than 400,000 trees. If you are not comfortable using recycled paper, at least switch to processed chlorine-free or chlorine-free products.
3) Buy chemical-free cosmetics
Products like deodorant, shampoo, nail polish and lipstick contain many harmful chemicals. There is a list of toxins that should be avoided:
- Formaldehyde: You will find this toxin in shampoo, liquid body soap and nail polish. This is known to be a carcinogen.
- Parabens: Commonly found in lotions, ointments, creams, underarm deodorants and other cosmetics, these chemicals can interrupt the hormone function. They are also associated with cancer.
- Phthalates: Used in nail polish, fragrances and detergent, they also disrupt the hormones. Known as reproductive toxins, they cause early puberty in girls.
You should look up the Environmental Working Group’s Skin Deep Database for more information about safe beauty products. This action will not only save you from harmful diseases, but also help improve the environment.
4) Create environment friendly cleaning products
You will earn karma points from Mother Nature, if you use environmentally-friendly products. You can fulfill all your cleaning needs by using baking soda or vinegar. Just mix either with warm water and you have your own homemade, all-purpose cleaner. You can also use borax; it is milder than bleach and works well as a disinfectant. For a stronger disinfectant, mix borax with white vinegar and hot water.
5) Beware of sodium laureth sulfate
Do you know what produces foam when you brush your teeth or wash your hair? It is sodium laureth sulfate. It is the worst chemical found in famous toothpaste, shampoo and cleansers! Why? It is used to de-grease car engines. This chemical can also increase the risk of cancer. Switch to toothpaste, cleanser and shampoo with natural ingredients, if you want to stay clear of cancer.
By taking note of the products you use, you will make your bathroom a safer place. It will also help the environment because you will be switching to environment-friendly products. Go green!